The Old Salt’s Journal

Volume III – No. 2                                            Winter 2000


The Coast Guard Sea Veterans of America National Newsletter



‘TRICARE for Life’ and ‘TRICARE Senior Pharmacy’
Became Law

President Clinton signed into law Oct.30 a two-pronged health care initiative for current and future Medicare-eligible military beneficiaries that has a vastly expanded prescription drug benefit – Full Story begins on Page 9

In this Issue


·        `TRICARE for Life' and `TRICARE Senior Pharmacy'
Became Law

·        The Whiskey Mine

·        The Final Judgement


·        CGC SPAR Launched


·        Market Time


·        The Asiatic Crew of the Planetree


·        A Typical Coast Guard SAR Flight


·        Posers

                                  AND MORE ŕ


`TRICARE for Life' and `TRICARE Senior Pharmacy'
Became Law
November 2, 2000

Effective Oct. 1, 2001, any Medicare eligible military beneficiary who has
enrolled in Medicare Part B will have TRICARE as second payer to their Medicare benefits. This means TRICARE will pay out-of-pocket costs for any services covered under Medicare, including 20 percent co-payments on doctor care and deductibles for hospital stays. In addition, beneficiaries will be eligible for all TRICARE benefits not covered by Medicare. TRICARE plans an elaborate effort to inform individual beneficiaries on details.

The TRICARE Senior Pharmacy Program, its official name, will begin April 1, 2001, six months sooner than TRICARE for Life. A TRICARE official said an easy way to explain it is it's ``the exact same benefit''

Coast Guard Cutter SPAR Christened and Launched

Marinette, Wisconsin 8/12/2000 -- Under a beautiful Wisconsin Sky the brand new Coast Guard Cutter Spar was christened by Attorney General Janet Reno and launched at the Marinette Marine Corporation today in the presence of 80 to 100 World War II Coast Guard SPARs and another 2000 or more guests. 

Preceding Ms. Reno were remarks delivered by Congressman Stupak, Senator Kohl, Vice Admiral Josiah, Coast Guard Chief of Staff and Mr. Dan Gulling, a representative of the Builder. The prospective Commanding Officer, LCDR Joanna Nunan brought tears to everyone's eyes when she described her emotions when she would be announced on board her new ship; "SPAR ABOARD" As a female Coast Guard Commanding Officer of the SPAR, she represents all of the 11,000 SPARs who served so notably in World War II.

The audience was entertained by the Coast Guard Band with stirring marches one of which surprisingly was the "Alte Kamaraden" Some 60 SPAR's and a few others formed on the dock and marched in formation and in uniform to their seats of honor in front of the podium. 

Coast Guard Sea Veterans of America President Larry Stefanovich, Secretary Ken Long, Board Member Jack Eckert & his wife Joana, Jim Gheller & his wife Janet as well as several of the SPAR’s were in attendance.

By 12 Noon the SPAR's, Dignitaries, invited guests and onlookers left the shipyard. 

The Spar will be commissioned next spring and be homeported in Juneau, Alaska taking the place of the decommissioned CGC IRONWOOD.


By Harold Doan

Though this was supposed to be a secret in the late fifties I doubt its disclosure will do any harm now.

There were some bad floods in Northern California in the winter of 1956 or 7. Water in the Eel River rose high enough to flood out a warehouse which contained a large amount of liquor of all kinds. The labels and federal tax stamps were mostly washed off and there was fear that somehow the stuff was contaminated. So the entire lot was written off.

Since the Alcohol Tax Unit and the Coast Guard were both under the Treasury Department at that time it was decided to destroy the booze and bury it on the Coast Guard property near the Coast Guard Lifeboat Station at Samoa, California, near Eureka. The liquor was loaded into dump trucks and amid great secrecy a bulldozer dug a trench in the sand, the stuff was dumped in and the bulldozer tan back and forth over the bottles. (I am sure that must have been a tough job and the bulldozer operator could be excused if he didn't break every bottle.) Sand was pushed over the top ... of course, a case of booze went to a few people here and there with a stern admonition that the news was not to be spread.

My friend Joe Elliott was stationed there at the time and told me about "the whiskey mine." I did nothing about it as I was a newly commissioned ensign then and felt it would be wrong for me to go "prospecting."

A year or so later I was Exec on the CGC ACTIVE, a Buck and a Quarter visiting Eureka and moored at the Samoa Lifeboat Station. It was a day or two before payday and the Chief Engineman on the ship was bored with card games and paperbacks and wanted to go ashore that wouldn't cost him anything. I told him about the buried treasure and he left.

When he came back to the ship I knew he had found it because his fingers had many cuts from broken glass, his trousers were stained red from wading in wine, and his eyes wouldn't focus.

After a few days he shipped a footlocker of "mineral samples" to his home in Monterey. He said he had a fine time guessing what was in a bottle by the shape, glass color, etc. etc. etc.

Note to Commander Map ... Am sailing in that direction. Doan ... Send Treasure

From "This - *?#!@*? Was The Coast Guard" by Esther Stormer ©1985 Reprinted by permission.

The Fly That Buzzes The Loudest  loudest usually gets swatted




The Asiatic Crew Of The Planetree By Allen J. Neal

 A ship full of Corporal Klingers in the mid 1950's

I reported aboard the Buoy Tender, "Planetree" Guam on January 26, 1954, and being an SA, was immediately put in the galley mess cooking.

The first thing I noticed was all of the odd characters on board. Several of the deck force and quartermasters wore rags on their feet instead of shoes. Most of the deck force looked like castaways. Most said they had gone "Asiatic."  

The chief's mess cook put colored food dye in their coffee urn and the chiefs refused to drink the coffee thinking Billy was trying to poison them.

My first evening meal I sat down at one of the three tables, and in the middle of each table was a one-gallon can of fruit cocktail. I thought "OK, I loved fruit cocktail." A second man sat down and picked up the one-gallon can of fruit cocktail and threw it out the open port hole. He said to me, "that is the first guy's job to throw it out the port hole." I didn't know for every meal each table got a one-gallon can of fruit cocktail and the first man always threw it out.

We got a new cook, fresh out of school, real nice fellow named Brunsma who was immediately nick named "Burnsmore." He would try to make a decent meal and would stick his head out the galley door and ask, "how was the meal?" and one of the animals eating would actually throw food at him, and someone would yell, "get back in your hole Belly Robber."

The cockroaches would land on your tray and you would flip them off and they would come right back as if they were attached to a rubber band. I never saw flying cockroaches. Someone said they were holding hands below and if they let go, the Planetree would sink.

We had a first class cook, tall red-headed guy with a mean disposition, I won't mention his name, he treated mess cooks like dirt. His best friend was a third class boatswains mate who looked like a Neanderthal Man. They looked like Mutt and Jeff. One Sunday afternoon when most of the crew was ashore I was mess cooking and had to go down to one of the coolers where lettuce and things were kept. There was Mutt and Jeff drinking their stash of hidden San Miguel Beer. They sure had a startled look on their faces and knew I had caught them red-handed. Thinking I might squeal on them they offered me a beer. I declined and from that day on I was their best buddy and the mess cooking got a lot easier.

We had a canvas cover over the fantail as it was so hot in Guam. We had movies every night under the canvas. The guys would go over to the base Coke Machine and bring over coke to drink during the movie. They had an empty coke case to place the empty bottles to be returned to the base. On my first liberty we had to line up for inspection by the Executive Officer. One man going on liberty was the second class steward called, "Goose Tatum" after one of the Harlem Globe Trotters. The XO looked us over and then noticed the case of empty coke bottles. He looked at Goose and said, "Goose get rid of those bottles." Goose said, "Yes sir" and grabbed the case and gave it the deep six. The startled XO said, "Goose, that isn't what I had in mind." Goose replied, "you said get rid of them and that's what I did, SIR, I got rid of them." I had a hard time suppressing a laugh.

We took several trips to Saipan, Ulithe, and Penepe. Once we stopped at Tinian, where the B-29's had taken off to drop the A-Bombs on Japan. The shore party returned with several Japanese, type 99, light machine guns, still in cosmoline. They immediately took them to the engineroom to clean them up. This was ten years after the war was over.

Some of the junior rated men were on three year enlistments to avoid being drafted by the Army for the Korean War and were trying to get "Section 8" discharges for being crazy now that that war was over.

He who is not graTeful for little is not worthy of much

The Executive Officer was relieved of duty later during my tour for problems also. I think the crew drove him nuts.




By Dave Moyer

From The Owasco Chronicles

The question we crewmembers asked ourselves over and over was, "just what the hell are we supposed to be doing here?" We had training in our respective jobs, better and more diverse than any other branch of the armed forces, but our combat training was next to nil. We trained on the M-1 rifle in boot camp, those dependable .30 calibres our dads carried in WW II and Korea. Oddly enough, they didn’t use them in Vietnam—they used M-16’s, and some Marines still used M-14’s.

Since I didn’t know one end from the other on a ’14, I couldn’t have used one effectively; as far as the ’16 was concerned, our entire training consisted of standing on the fantail one afternoon before arriving in the combat zone while a Gunners Mate showed us the automatic and semiautomatic switch. He then proceeded to insert a clip and fired five rounds. As ordered, we lined up and each shot three rounds off the fantail into the South China Sea. It took all of about 12 minutes. End of training on the M-16. The next time I saw one was when I carried one into a possible combat situation. I said possible. Fortunately, I didn’t need to fire it. After that I carried a .45 semiautomatic pistol, which I did know how to use.

We had M-60’s mounted on each bridge wing also. These were belt fed automatics and an upgraded version of the old Browning Automatic Rifle. Proficiency on that piece was also learned by "on-the-job training." Perhaps someone figured we would learn eventually. Know what? They were right.

Still, just why were we, the U.S. Coast Guard, there? An explanation was given to the enlisted crew; however, I learned much more about our role 15-years after returning, from a book on the history of the war.

The Coast Guard was an important part of "Operation Market Time," a joint USN/USCG endeavor. In the mid-60’s, most supplies and personnel from the north were delivered from the sea. Beaches and river mouths were receiving areas to funnel military supplies to the enemy. When one enemy receiving area was closed, another was born. The shoreline was simply too long with too many estuaries and coves to shut all down. Sampans, trawlers, and anything that floated, were used for transporting supplies, and they had to be stopped. From this military necessity, Operation Market Time was born.

Primarily, Market Time consisted of Coast Guard High Endurance Cutters (WHEC’s), CG 82-foot patrol boats (WPB’s), Navy 55-foot patrol boats (SWIFT’s), and a few USN DE’s. Our job was to stop the infiltrations; in essence, set up a blockade. We had the authority to stop and board any unscheduled craft within a given number of miles from the coast of Vietnam. Every craft had to be identified, including huge tankers and freighters, down to the smallest sampans.

Operation Market Time boarded a craft every 15- to 30-seconds. Those that refused to identify themselves or would not stop were forced to at the point of a gun. Those that ran were sunk. A sister ship in early 1968 shelled and beached a trawler loaded with arms for the enemy. That action was the beginning of the end of the coastal supply line used by Hanoi.

The OWASCO herself detected 2,596 junks, inspected 2,341 of them, and boarded 178, the most of any Squadron Three Cutter. During one of those boardings, we captured three Viet Cong infiltrators. All in all, a pretty good record.

According to USN evaluations during and after the conflict, Operation Market Time was one of the most successful yet least credited operations conducted. Supply routes from the sea became non-existent, forcing the expansion of the Ho Chi Minh Trail inland.

I guess we did our job.

The Final Inspection

The Old Salt stood and faced God,
which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining
just as brightly as his brass.

Step forward now, you Old Salt,
how shall I deal with you?

The sailor squared his shoulders,
and said, God, perfect I ain't,
because those of us who carry guns
can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
and at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny
that wasn't mine to keep,
though I worked a lot of overtime
when the seas got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place
among the people here.
They never wanted me around
except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
and if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne where saints had often trod.
As the Sailor waited quietly
for the judgment of his God.

Step forward now, you old Salt,
you've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
you've done your time in Hell
Author Unknown

 A Typical Coast Guard SAR Flight

By Jack McCormack (Jack Crossed The Bar Last Year)

My first two stories I told of some of the emergencies I had encountered. It's rather interesting to note that the first story, a transmission failure off the coast of Alaska, took place close to my retirement; the second, engine failure off the coast of Maine, took place near the beginning of my aviation career. It is also noteworthy to mention, they were the only real emergencies I had in over 15 years and over 3200 hours of flying for the Coast Guard.

Yes, I lost a gadget here and there, but nothing life-threatening, more an inconvenience or minor concern to be watched, rarely serious enough to abort a mission. That, I think, can be attributed to the excellent aircraft that Sikorsky produces; and, unlike some of the other services, the careful and thorough maintenance performed by the people who maintain our aircraft and fly them as aircrew.

In early December of 1969, we had recently closed our Air Station at Salem, Mass., and commissioned a new station at Cape Cod as a tenant of Otis AFB. There were many reasons for this move but, primarily, we needed more space and runways. Salem had no room to grow and no runways. No runways at an air station, you ask? Salem was commissioned in the late 30's when the Coast Guard operated seaplanes (PBYs, PBMs, and P5Ms) and used Salem Harbor for landing and takeoff. As the years passed, it was decided that New England needed more air coverage. In addition to the HU16E Albatross twin-engine amphibian aircraft, and the HH52A and HH3F helicopters that Salem provided, C130 Hercules were to be added to the fleet. You can land a C130 in Salem Harbor, but only once.

During the worst winter months, operating the HU16's from water can be difficult. On the takeoff run, you could pick up enough ice to make flying a hazard to your health. During these months we kept the ready HU16 at Beverly Airport, increasing our fixed wing response time by an hour at a minimum; we had to drive to Beverly, preheat the engines and shovel off the snow. We also kept a detachment at Naval Air Station, Quonset Point, with one HU16, to overcome some of these problems; but the logistics were terrible. For instance, most of the maintenance had to be done at Salem, along with other support activities.

I had the duty on a glorious New England December day. The weather was overcast and windy, but there was no storm brewing. The duty day at most Coast Guard Air Stations begins at 0800 and runs to the next day at 0800, then you begin a normal workday. If there are no SAR cases, you can catch up on your paper work and possibly get a night’s sleep before starting the next day’s work. You are more or less guaranteed that you won't be on the flight schedule for logistics or training flights, during your ready pilot status. SAR crew must be ready to be airborne within ten minutes. The SAR alarm went off about 2300. It was reported that the container ship, American Archer, came across a group of Japanese fishermen rowing around the ocean 240 miles southeast of Nantucket. It did seem rather strange to the Captain, this not being a recreational boating area, that something might be amiss. After picking up what turned out to be the survivors of the Japanese fishing vessel Togo Maru, it was learned that the vessel had exploded and sank a few hours earlier. Among the survivors, there were some who were quite seriously injured.

Since the distance was pushing our maximum radius, I decided to top off the fuel tanks (possibly going over the maximum gross of 22,050 lbs. a bit). Best to take off a little heavy and to ensure we had enough to make it back. Running out of fuel and/or not completing the rescue mission is not my idea of having a good day. In addition to our normal crew of four, we also managed to get Capt. John Little, a USAF flight surgeon, assigned to our crew, one of the advantages of being a tenant at an Air Force Base.

Heading southeast and quickly establishing radio contact with the American Archer, we could home in on their VHF radio signal with our VHF/DF and fly directly to their position. Our only problem was: How far out there are they? We knew the direction with the VHF/DF but not the distance. In the late 60's, I didn't trust a ship far at sea knowing their position with a fair degree of accuracy. Aboard the helicopter we used LORAN A, which, to say the least, wasn't as reassuringly accurate as today’s equipment.

The plan was to fly for 300 miles and, if the ship wasn't there, then head back for land. As it turned out, he was where he said he was. After getting the needle swing on the VHF/DF, we set up for a Precision Approach to a Hover (PATCH), using his VHF transmitter as our NAVAID. Remember, this is 0-Two Thirty dark in the middle of the Atlantic with an overcast and high winds. This is no place to try a visual approach to a small light in the ocean—depth perception will get you every time.

The PATCH is basically a tear-drop pattern using a datum (reference point), whether it is a light on the water, a transmitter, or a time mark you select, designed to get the aircraft from altitude and a cruise speed of 120 knots to 50 feet and zero knots. Yes, we have a radar altimeter, along with a full panel of instruments without which we could easily bump into the water with unfavorable results. Incidentally, this maneuver is performed completely on instruments. Once in a hover at 50 feet, the copilot takes control if he has visual reference. If not, we would descend to 25 feet. I don't care how thick the fog may be, or how calm the seas may be, a 22,050 lb. helicopter will blow away the fog to a certain extent and make enough ripple on the water to enable a visual hover. The Coast Guard's H3's have all the bells and whistles for instrument flying, which is a must, considering our all-weather mission requirements.

As a result of Dr. Little’s discussion of the medical situation with the Captain of the American Archer by radio, it was decided we would lower him to the ship where he could determine more accurately the medical condition of the crew and determine who, if any, would require evacuation.

Good for him, I wouldn't want to be lowered to a ship in the middle of the Atlantic at night by a couple of guys I had only recently met. On the other hand, if my ship was sinking, introductions wouldn't be necessary.

The crew and the American Archer's Captain were briefed, then we commenced our approach. This briefing included a heading for the ship to steer, putting the wind 30 degrees off his port bow and a speed to maintain steerageway, but no faster. This heading would allow us to hover over the ship’s stern into the wind and provided a good visual reference of the ship to our starboard (the pilot being in the right seat and the cabin door/hoist on the right).

Our approach brought us to about 200 yards astern of the ship in a hover taxi, approaching at about 15 knots with good visual references, then came to a hover over the stern (actually, flying close formation with the ship underway) while I evaluated the situation.

At altitude, I thought this would be a piece of cake once I got down through the dark. A 600-foot plus ship, plenty of visual references to fly formation, no sweat. WRONG. The plusses were: a large area over the containers to hover with no obstacles and plenty of light. The negatives: the stern was moving up and down about 75 feet (in about a 10 second period) because of the heavy seas, her length, and the gasses coming from the stacks just forward of the hoisting site.

We dropped the doctor off for his house call, then climbed to 500 feet to conserve fuel to get out of the stack gas. The H3, like all helicopters, uses less fuel with forward airspeed than in a hover, and you are not likely bump into the water unless we fall asleep.

About 20 minutes later we got a call from the doctor, who had determined that four of the crewmen from the Togo Maru needed evacuation, three with severe burns and one with a badly fractured hand. The remaining crew members would be fine aboard the American Archer until she reached port, which I think was New York.

Down we came again with another PATCH. This time we were prepared to make five hoists, the doctor and the four evacuees. By the end of the last hoist, which took about 20 minutes, we were all glad to get out of the stack gas—I could hardly see and had one hell of a headache. Time to go home—a 300 mile trip to Boston, where the best medical facilities were available, considering our patients needs. This required refueling at CGAS Cape Cod en route however, delaying us somewhat.

To expedite the refueling, I decided to hot refuel, taking on only enough to make it to Boston and some reserve. Hot refueling is somewhat risky—you single point refuel (high pressure to all four tanks at once) while the engines and rotors are still turning. Should something fail, you could get a big fire.

We then continued on to Boston, shot an ILS approach to Logan since the weather had deteriorated somewhat, and discharged our patients to the awaiting ambulances for further transfer to Mass. General. Mission complete. We then took on more fuel and headed home to Cape Cod, arriving around sunrise.

A long and rewarding night. Flying doesn't get much better than that. SEMPER PARATUS!

TRICARE for Life' and `TRICARE Senior Pharmacy' Became Law November 2, 2000 – cont’d from page 1

What it is designed to do

·         Access to cost-free medications at base pharmacies –

·         Access to the military's National Mail Order Pharmacy Program where a 90-day supply of most medicines costs $8

·         Access to the TRICARE retail pharmacy benefit which requires a 20 percent co-payment for patients –

·         Access to any non-network pharmacy but the patient will face a 25 percent co-payment after a deductible of $150 per individual or $300 per family.

What should Medicare-eligible beneficiaries do now? TRICARE officials suggest these actions and a lot of patience.

Seniors should NOT yet cancel their Medigap insurance coverage. Those who do so prematurely will face a gap in secondary coverage until TRICARE for Life begins next year.



1. What are the duties of the Jack of the Dust?

2. Who was the Coast Guard Commandant during World War II?

3. Name the three WAVP’s that had port holes in the skin of the ship.

4. What two government services were combined to form the U.S. Coast Guard?

5. Who according to the Life Boat Station’s Manual fires the cannon during the rigging of the beach apparatus?

The Answers to Previous Posers:

1. What was the name originally selected for the Coast Guard Icebreaker MACKINAW? CGC MANITOWOC. A Coast Guard manned U.S. Navy Patrol Frigate was in commission at the time. It is not customary to have to ships in service with the same name at the same time.

2. Which county in which state has the most lighthouses? Door County in Wisconsin has the most lighthouses of any county in the United States.

3. Who was the first MCPOCG? Charles “Charlie” Calhoun, a BMCM was the first appointed to the MCPOCG position during the tenure of Admiral Willard Smith 1n 1969.

4. Who was Secretary of the Transportation when the Coast Guard moved to it from the Treasury Department? John Volpe of Massachusetts.

5. Which Coast Guard Cutter came to the rescue of the Bermuda Sky Queen? CGC BIBB (WPG-31)


Editorial Comment

It is with a great deal of restraint that the SEAVETS remained above the recent political fray for the President. No matter who won or who lost, and we all had strong opinions about that, we did what we were supposed to do; and that is stay neutral. It is not our part in the overall scheme of things to use our organization to pick our bosses. That is an individual responsibility.

The SEAVETS have only a couple of major items on the agenda:

1.      Maintain the Traditions.

2.      Tell Sea Stories.

Nothing in these agenda items advocates the support of any political or religious groups.

We all are on the same Virtual Cutter together and it does not behoove us to punch holes in the bottom. - Jack


Officers and Board Members of the Coast Guard Sea Veterans of America:

Larry Stefanovich - Chairman of the Board/President

Rod C. Jernigan - Vice President

Commodore Ken Long - Secretary-Treasurer

Dennis Streng – Historian

James Duffield - Director

Donald Van Horn - Director

Jack A. Eckert – Director and sometimes newsletter editor.

Bobby Padgett - Director

Richard Whelchel - Director


The Coast Guard SeaVets has a number of other items for sale. Call (360) 856-2171 to place your order.

Garrison Cap for the SV Pin - $7.50

Ball Cap C.G.S.V.- $11.00

S.V. Pin - $5.00

S.V Patches - $5.00


There is an Internet edition of the Old Salt's Journal and it can be found at the following address:

Back Issues are also posted except for issue number 9, the last issue. This site can be accessed 24 hours per day. The Internet edition does NOT appear before the printed edition is mailed to the members of the Sea Vets.



The President and Secretary have requested that a note be inserted in this edition of the OSJ about dues payment. Several members are in arrears at this time. Membership will lapse and you will be discharged from the organization. We want you on board to help us grow anew.

If your membership lapses, you will have to pay the full initiation and dues of $25.00 to be reinstated in lieu of the $15.00 for re-enlisting. 


We hope that you have enjoyed this edition of the "Old Salt's Journal." Your suggestions for improvement and your submission of timely and interesting materials will be greatly appreciated.

Don't Forget to write and tell us what you like and don't like about the Old Salt's Journal. We appreciate your contributions and are want more to put in future issues.. Semper Paratus, Smooth Sailing, and Maintain the Tradition!

Look for us again in the Summer.


Submit all articles and letters for The Old Salt's Journal

c/o Jack A. Eckert, Editor, 312 W. Washington Street; Port Washington, Wisconsin 53074 --

The Old Salt's Journal is published quarterly by the Coast Guard Sea Veterans of America. Unless otherwise indicated in the text, the material contained herein is NOT copyrighted and may be reproduced for related uses. It would be appreciated if the author, the Old Salt's Journal, and the Coast Guard Sea Veterans of America are credited in any republication.

Communications to the membership from the MCPOCG Vince Patton and CGSVA National President Larry Stefanovich will return in the next issue. 

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are those of the editor, columnists, or contributors and are not necessarily those of the U.S. Coast Guard or the Coast Guard Sea Veterans of America.

An Information page has been added to our website. It is called "Now Here This" Click on and get latest 'poop' on the latest news. We need help on this please contact Ken or myself for input --Larry. http://www.nwlink/~kenlong/cgsva. html


Come Visit JACK'S JOINT on the WWW

A library of over 440 Coast Guard stories and growing.

Internet edition of the Old Salt's Journal

Lighthouse stories and links.

Simplified military links.

Help us tell the Coast Guard story through the eyes of the people who lived it.