AT LAST - COAST GUARD NAVY BEAN SOUP
At last, a recipe for Navy Bean Soup submitted by an Old Salt, CS2 Jim King of Pembroke, Mass. The quantities used are intended to feed the crew of a weather ship.
Yield 100 Portions (6-1/4 Gallons)
Beans, White Dry 6 lb (3-1/2 qt)
Water, Cold (2 gal)
1. Pick over beans, removing discolored beans and foreign matter. Wash thoroughly in cold water.
2. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil; boil two minutes. Turn off heat. Cover, let stand one hour.
Soup & Gravy
Base, Ham 20 oz (3 cups)
Water 5 gal
3. Combine soup and gravy base with water. Add to beans; bring to a boil; cover; simmer two hours or until beans are tender.
Shredded 1 lb (1 qt)
Chopped 2 lb (1-1/2 qt)
Pepper, Black 2 tsp
4. Add carrots, onions and pepper to bean mixture. Simmer 30 minutes.
Sifted 12 oz (3 cups)
Water, Cold (1 qt)
5. Blend flour and water to form a smooth paste. Stir into soup; cook ten minutes.
Note: 1. In step 4, 1 lb 4 oz of fresh carrots A.P. will yield 1 lb of shredded carrots, and 2 lb 4 oz dry onions will yield 2 lbs. chopped onions.
2. In step 4, 4 oz (1-1/3 cups) dehydrated onions may be used.:
1. BEAN SOUP WITH SMOKED, CURED HAM HOCKS: Follow Steps 1 through 3. Place 2 lb 8 oz thawed, smoked, cured pork hocks in enough water to cover. Simmer for an hour; remove from heat, cool. Remove lean meat; chop into small pieses. In Step 4, add chopped ham hocks to ingredients. Follow step 5.
2. KNICKERBOCKER SOUP (BEAN TOMATO, AND BACON): Follw steps 1 and 2. In Step 3 reduce water to 3-1/4 gal. In step 4, lightly brown 1 lb (3 cups) chopped raw bacon. Add carrots, onions, and 5 lb (3-3/4 qt) diced fresh potatos (6 lb 2 oz A.P.) Cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally; add to bean mixture. Add 6 lb 6 oz (1-No. 10 can) canned crushed tomatoes; simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Omit Step 5.
3. OLD FASHIONED BEAN SOUP: Follow steps 1 and 2. In Step 3, reduce water to 4-1/4 gal. In Step 4, add 6 lb 6 oz (1-No 10 can) canned crushed tomatoes. Follow Steps 4 and 5.
Return to Coast Guard Stories