By Donald H. Ward 

This really happened while I was signalman on Lightship-116  on station on Cape Cod Bay. 

I was on watch from 2000 to Midnight. This was some time in the late 1942 WWII period. Winter just setting in. The air was cold so I did not like standing out on the bridge. Everything was blacked out (no lights.) 

Around 2200 I thought I saw a set of running lights, just a Red and Green side lights. At first I thought I had been drinking too much coffee. I called the next watch to verify what I was seeing. Sure enough it was running lights. I said to my mate, "What is this crazy nut trying to prove ?" 

We broke open the challanging code book to send a challange for the last two hours, I made several attempts, even going ahead of the time and back two hours. 

No response.

I made a radio call to the base station at the canal entrance and explained what was happening. The officers on duty there consisted of three branches of the service (Coast Guard, Army HECP, & Navy COTP.) The reply from all three was to keep challenging. Well I finally made contact, and everything turned out OK except for the numbers for the ship??  

We could not find them in the listing of ships, or planes. 

After about ten minutes of looking we found the damn thing, and what a surprise we got. 

The damn ship turned out to be a blimp with a number like Z172937540278352. 

When we saw that number we almost passed out. 

The sender was ok but slower then usual and I asked for his name and rate.  

It was about at this point I was about to jump over board and swim for my life.
The sender said his rate was (now get this) Commander so and so. I do not recall just who he was but I knew I was in hot water, because I had told him he should go back to school for signal lessons to speed up his pace. 

We had a nice chat and he invited me to Boston to some Hotel and look him up. 

He thanked me for the advice that I gave him and also to turn off his lights because he could be shot down by a German sub that might be off shore.

I did go to Boston, but just to pass through to go home and see my wife and newborn son who were waiting in Portland, Maine.

I know there have been some tales lot worse then my story, but that night was something I will never forget it, more so because the war was on and I had already experienced one close call with a UBoat off the entrance to Kennebunkport, Maine while serving on small boats on off shore patrol duty out of Biddeford Pool, Maine. So until my next story I will say" Semper Paratus" to all.

Return To Coast Guard Stories

Donald Ward's email address is