The FS362 - The Return To Manila

By Jerome Friedman


The Japanese had occupied the Philippine Islands for 3 years. They thought they were there to stay. They had even printed tons of pesos imprinted " The Japanese Government".
After the long struggle in the southwest Pacific, the US had pushed the Japanese back to their last stronghold, the island of Luzon. Manila, the capital of the Philippines, is located on Luzon. The Army slogged about 150 miles north on the island until they reached the Tulihan River. The assault on Manila can be dated from the afternoon of 2/5/45 when the Army crossed the river. By that evening, US troops entered the suburbs of Manila..
The Coast Guard manned Army FS362 followed the Army on its 150 mile hike northward by delivering supplies to various ports like those at Lingayen Gulf and Subic Bay. On 3/1/45, when the Army was still fighting some 25,000 Japanese holed up in the Old City (Intramuros), the FS 362 dropped anchor in Manila harbor. A newspaper headline the next morning alerted our crew  to the fact that our ship was the first cargo ship to anchor in the harbor since the Japanese had occupied the Islands and while there was still some ongoing fighting in Intramuros. The harbor bottom was full of Japanese hulks.
For the first two days we had orders not to go ashore. When the order was lifted, our skipper granted liberty to half the crew. I went ashore with them. I walked up Ascarraga Street to the center of the city. There I found to my surprise that the stamp dealers of Manila had set up shop in the ruined buildings to sell their wares to this new customer base. Having been a stamp collector from my early days, I managed to acquire a very nice collection of stamps issued by the Japanese for use in the Philippines. There were two rare items I could not afford because of my thin wallet.
I left the stamp dealers and wandered north up Ascarraga to find myself confronted by the infamous Bilibid Prison. Here the Japanese had incarcerated some 1200 military prisoners and civilian internees including men, women and children. Before I came upon the scene, the prisoners had been liberated by the Army and trucked away to a safe place. When the area was deemed secure, the former prisoners were trucked back to the environs of the prison to await transport back to the States. There were still several hundred left when I arrived, and  I had trouble explaining to them why a Coast Guardsman was there. Wasn't I supposed to be guarding the US coastline? Always that misconception as to what the CG does.
From there, I walked toward the Pasig River which bisects the city.
The Jones Bridge had been destroyed, but I could see Intramuros still burning. About 50 yards from the Pasig (the safe side), a night - club had opened. Entering, I immediately saw that this was really a  "house of ill-repute". This was no place for a married man with a child, so I left.
Wandering further, I was accosted by a street urchin who informed me that if I gave him a carton of cigarettes he would give me a bottle of "tuba" (local so-called scotch) . He said that I could get $15 for the bottle at some lonely Army outpost. Not a bad deal since the cigarettes cost me nothing. Let me tell you why.
Sometime earlier, the FS362 delivered a load of cases of cigarettes to an Army base. The Army sent its own crew to do the unloading with a 2nd Lt in charge. Since I was the OOD, I told him it was my responsibility; but he insisted saying that his superior wanted the Army to unload. I didn't feel like a lengthy argument with him or his superior, so I told him to go ahead with the job as long as my men handled the winches. He agreed. After the first two nets had been unloaded successfully, the third net split wide-open while in mid-air and some 25 cases fell into the river and started to float downstream. I asked the Lt. what he was going to do about the 25 cases. He shrugged his shoulders and told me that if I wanted them I could go get them. So I sent a couple of the crew with our launch to retrieve the floating cigarettes. It took a while but we collected all the cases which were later divided amongst the crew.and officers. That came to about 50 cartons each. More than enough for trading.
Back to the trade for the "tuba". I turned the urchin down. What he suggested was unseemly for an officer in the USCG. 


Return To Coast Guard Stories